Re: more install problems

Okay, this supersedes the previous.  I have succeeded in installing
Woody on the Thinkpad, using the 'dummy' network interface.  A stack
of errors which will be easily cleared up as soon as I actually can
connect to the internet, via our home-office ethernet.  The interface
card claims to support Linux.  It is a net-lynx 428X.  It comes with
a floppy, with instructions for installing its driver.  This is what
it says:
  Realtek CardBus Ethernet Card Installation on Linux

  1. Compile the source code :
   ->Copy the source code rtl8139.c (ver 1.08 above) to a directory
     and execute "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
   -O6 -c rtl8139.c -o realtek_cb.o
     The directory "pcmcia-cs-3.0.9" stands for the card service
     version you use. Please change it to the version on your system
     in order to include proper .h file. The final file is

  2. Copy driver :
   ->Copy the file "realtek_cb.o" to "/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/pcmcia"

  3. Edit config:
   ->Add 5 lines to the file "/etc/pcmcia/config"
after that it should be easy.

This doesn't seem to be workable with the directory structure debian
has installed.  I have managed to copy the file to a directory (in
spite of the thinkpad not being able to read floppies properly - but
that is a separate problem).

In para. 1. there is no directory like
/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/ - I cannot find any
*pcmcia*/include/.  What should I do here?

If someone can help me here, I can try to compile this.  If it
succeeds, it will be the first time I ever compile anything
successfully!  The floppy they provide also includes a file called
'kern_compat.h', but there are no instructions what to do with it.
It is mentioned once in rtl8139.c as follows:
  #include "k_compat.h"
  // #include "pci-scan.h"
  #include "kern_compat.h"
which looks commented out to me, but I don't pretend to know C.  Can
anyone tell me if I need to copy it too?

The main reason for moving to Debian (apart from the wonderful people
here) was for apt-get and friends, but I can't even start to benefit
if I can't get online... it's sooo frustrating.