RH to Debian migration

Greetings list,

I have recently taken over as the admin of a small lab at school.  The current
admin has graduated and gone off to grad school and today we spent the day
going
over the lab setup.  Anyhow, the point is that I don't particularly care for
the current setup (10 machines running RH 9) because of the kludges he has set
up:

-Remote updating is a real pain (I know there are command line tools for
this in RH, but it seems like a real pain)
-The lab director does not want to pay for support or for RH Enterprise
Workstation, so they setup one RHN account, added all 10 machines and then
rotate the demo entitlement amongst them to be able to run up2date for each
one.

The machines are:
1 fileserver (2x80GB RAID-0) houses user home directories, is the print server
1 firewall/web/email server runs Apache, PHP, MySQL, Horde
8 workstations running StarOffice 6.0 (university has a site license) and
VMWare workstation (currently 3.2 but soon 4.0)

The 8 workstations shouldn't pose a real challenge, but any recommendations
would be appreciated.  The real challenge is the web and fileservers becuase
they are both setup to only allow root to log in and they run X, which to me
poses a major risk.  I would like to transition all the machines over Debian
(Sid for the 8 workstations and Woody for the two servers) while preserving
the user home directories.

I would also like to setup a DHCP (I know how to do this, but would like a
suggestion as to whether it belongs on the web or fileserver), DNS (currently
each machine is named after the person that uses it and since all the IPs are
static the hosts file on each must be updated after each change), and VMWare
workstation for each machine (I would need some help for doing this on Debian
since they don't officially support Debian as a distro).

Any other suggestions/comments/whatever would be greatly appreciated.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es