Any help for GNOME 2.2 on Sarge

James Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

xfree86 4.3 requires freetype 2.1.3, which conflicts with fontconfig in
the backport.  fontconfig is required by libpango1.0-0 and pango is
required by gtk+2.0 and everything else depends on that.  So nothing
installs.

If you have an up to date xfree86 4.3 with freetype 2.1.3 and
fontconfig, png, and xft2 from the below sources, you will be able to
install gnome2.2 after this evening.
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/fontconfig/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xft/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/freetype/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/libpng/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/debconf/i386/ ./

gnome2.2 will install.   I fixed a dependency in pango to allow this.

Any new ideas for those of us that did a d-st-upgrade opn Sarge and went from a perfectly working GNOME 1.4 to a seriously broken GNOME 2.2? I have tried upgrading to GNOME in Sid, I have tried getting back to 1.4. I really don't want to have to wipe my disk and reinstall from my Woody CD-ROM. What is the likelyhood of the dependancies finding their way into Sarge -- things like gnome-core >= 1.5 and gnome-help >= 1.5. These are the obvious culprits that I am finding. I don't know if there are others.

All I want is a working system. I had just gotten GNOME to work the way I wanted it to and then it broke. I would prefer not to have to duplicate my effprts to get KDE working the way I want, or to go back to fvwm (although that, at least, with many fewer dependancies, is less likely to give me trouble while running Sarge -- It certainly never gave me trouble under Woody when Woody was testing).

Has anyone gotten 2.2 to work under Sarge, or successfully returned to the Land of the Living with a working 1.4 after doing a dist-upgrade?

Marc