Re: Any help for GNOME 2.2 on Sarge

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:24:46PM -0400, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Any new ideas for those of us that did a d-st-upgrade opn Sarge and went
> from a perfectly working GNOME 1.4 to a seriously broken GNOME 2.2?  I
> have tried upgrading to GNOME in Sid, I have tried getting back to 1.4.
>  I really don't want to have to wipe my disk and reinstall from my
> Woody CD-ROM.  What is the likelyhood of the dependancies finding their
> way into Sarge -- things like gnome-core >= 1.5 and gnome-help >= 1.5.

FWIW, here is roughly the current state of GNOME 2 in sarge. When I say
"needs <foo>", that's shorthand for "can't be upgraded in testing until
the source package <foo> is ready for testing too". See
http://www.debian.org/devel/testing for some of the gory details of how
sarge/testing is managed.

Remaining gnome/gnome-core dependencies:

  abiword control-center gnome-media gnome-terminal gnucash gnumeric
  nautilus nautilus-media

Taking each in turn:

  abiword

    Needs nautilus and libwmf (which is a whole other can of worms but
    is getting there, providing that the upcoming release of glibc 2.3.2
    to unstable doesn't get in the way too much).

  control-center

    Ironically, needs a fixed kdelibs for reasons you probably don't
    want to know about involving pilot-link changing some of its package
    names. kdelibs has a couple of release-critical bugs. This will
    probably take longer than anything else, unless the release manager
    decides to remove kdepim from testing to break the dependency chain
    up a bit.

    I don't use enough of GNOME to be sure, but I'm guessing that this
    being missing is a major source of breakage?

  gnome-media

    Broken on a bunch of platforms, and needs gst-plugins, which needs
    jack-audio-connection-kit, which needs fixes in alsaplayer, gem, and
    pd.

  gnome-terminal

    Build problems on a few platforms, which mostly look transient.

  gnucash

    Build problems on a bunch of platforms, some of which look transient
    but some of which are more exciting test failures.

  gnumeric

    Needs gal2, which just has a transient-looking build problem on one
    architecture. Should be ready soon.

  nautilus

    Needs cdparanoia, which is just doing its 10 days of time in
    unstable. Should be available within a week with any luck.

  nautilus-media

    Needs gst-plugins and nautilus, see above; build problem on arm
    which was a gtk+2.0 problem, now fixed.

Anyway, most people here probably don't care about the details, but I
thought it might be useful to say what's going on with GNOME in testing
since a lot of people on this list run it. The situation above is
actually markedly improved since the last time I looked at this
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-release-0306/msg00008.html).

Cheers,