Re: (progress) Network card not detected or listed in installation

ThinKer wrote:

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 03:32, Michael Waters wrote:
Network Card
Netgear Fa311 10/100 NIC (PCI)

Thanks! As soon as I loaded the module closest to what you recommended
"natsemi-scyld" the installation said it was successful and the
Automatic Network Configuration menu came up asking me if I wanted to
use DHCP or BOOTP to automatically configure the interface. I chose yes,
but the configuration failed for some reason, so I had to configure the
network manually.

Now, after the manual configuration was complete, I attempted to install
the base system again. According to the instructions at ...
http://www.debian.org/distrib/floppyinst

I should place the following URL in the Download URL space ...
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/

However, when I do this I get the message "Release Check Failed: The
server was unavailable or contained no Release file."

Questions:

1. Is this the correct ftp location, and if not, what is?
It doesn't quite look right to me, but then I've never been able to figure out the syntax for sources.list. I just copy them from pre-existing machines. Here's the Stable lines from my "/etc/apt/sources.list":
# Stable
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

2. Since the DHCP didn't take and I am not sure if my manual
configuration worked, how can I check to see if I am actually able to
get out on this machine?

Quickest, easiest test is probably just a simple "ping" command.

Something like "ping www.wired.com" or "ping someserver.somewhere.org". You'll want to be ready to hit Ctrl-C after you get a couple of "64 bytes from ...." type responses, or it'll just keep going continuously. If you get something like "unknown host" or it just hangs for a long while, you've got problems (or the remote site is not responding properly, probably for "security reasons", in which case you'll want to try a different address). You can also ping by address. If you get a proper response by address ("ping xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa"), but not by name, your problem is probably in "/etc/resolv.conf".

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)