Re: Looking for more Debian packages

(You seem to have sent your message three times to the list...)

"Jianan Huang" <huangjianan1@hotmail.com> writes:

> 1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot
> from a floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the
> floppy. I use D drive for my Linux.

Note that you can install a boot loader (e.g., LILO or GRUB) into the
MBR of the "C drive" (likely /dev/hda), and then you can boot your
choice of operating system without affecting what's actually installed
on either drive.

> If my floppy fails to boot, I may have to re-build a whole new
> system. It would be wise to have an image copy of the whole floppy
> as a backup. Is there a utility to create a binary image of a Linux
> floppy?

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img # make the image
dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0 # make a new floppy
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd1   # copy disks, given two floppy drives

> 2) I have read about Linux BIOS. I believe BIOS is another area of
> software that has to open up. Does Debian have one, and come with
> source code too?

Not particularly, but I also haven't heard of huge demand for one.
Linux (I think like most other "modern" operating systems) mostly
ignores the BIOS, with a couple of exceptions for things like APM.

	-- Abra Mitchell