Re: Looking for more Debian packages

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 15:28, Jianan Huang wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> My Linux system is basically working. I am looking at ways to enhance
> it.
>
> 1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot
> from a floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the
> floppy. I use D drive for my Linux. If my floppy fails to boot, I may
> have to re-build a whole new system. It would be wise to have an
> image copy of the whole floppy as a backup. Is there a utility to
> create a binary image of a Linux floppy? I have looked at fdutils. It
> doesn't help.

If you are using LILO to boot from Hard Disk, you will want to have
something like that in you /etc/lilo.conf

# snip here
# Tells lilo to install itself to the MBR
boot=/dev/hda

#Tells lilo where to look for the linux / filesystem:
root=/dev/hdb1

default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

other=/dev/hda1
  label="Windows"

# snip here

This is very minimal. You should read /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz
to know how to tweak this.

> 2) I have read about Linux BIOS. I believe BIOS is another area of
> software that has to open up. Does Debian have one, and come with
> source code too?

If you don't have a very deep understanding of what using Linux BIOS
will do to your box, DON'T try it.

> 3) Does Debian support freehand writing devices such as Wacom
> electronics pad? I'm talking about the device driver as well as
> application packages such as freehand editing for documentation and
> emailing, freehand drawing etc.

I use an old Wacom Artpad (serial port) to draw from within the GIMP. It
supports pressure. I don't know if there exists a freehand font
recognition program (I don't think so).

joerg
--
Gib GATES keine Chance!