Re: flphoto program to deb?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:47:47PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 09:28:49AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
>    >
>    > BTW, I have not yet tried flphoto's rotation. Will come back after some
>    > more experiments :-)
>    >
> Am back after my trials with flphoto. It rotates in a lossless fashion
> and has an option of storing the exif data. Checked it and it tallied
> exactly with the original.
>
> A fall out of this, I do not have to go to the other os to rotate my
> images losslessly retaining the exif data.

You can also rotate losslessly via jpegtran in libjpeg-progs (or
libjpeg-mmx-progs.  It also can preserve the EXIF data if passed the
"-copy all" option.  Works fine in the stable version of jpegtran.

> If only, I could get the gphoto2 cvs debs, then my Canon A70 would be
> easily recognised.

I've got my A70 working under 2.0final-4 which is the version in stable.
The trick is to have all the right USB modules loaded, and pass a fudged
command line to gphoto2 (trick it into thinking it's a different camera)

Try
gphoto2 --usbid 0x4a9:0x3073=0x4a9:0x3056 --camera "Canon Powershot S40" -P

This causes all the photos to be downloaded to the current directory.
Note that while retrieving photos works fine, other functions like
remote capture aren't guaranteed to work correctly with the A70 under
Linux.

I found this information on this page:
http://pto.linuxbog.dk/Canon_PowerShot_A70_Linux

I didn't manage to get the hotplug usermap thing going, so I just have a
little script to run that command I mentioned earlier when I want to
upload photos.

hth,

- Chris