Newly upgraded to Gnome 2.2.2 and Metacity 2.4.55, but...

Hi.

After 2.5 months of not updating a sarge-box, I took the plunge
and made it an up-to-date sarge+sid box.

Most things seem to work, except there's no window manager.
Gnome fires up, and I can run programs, but only in single-task
mode.

How can I tell Gnome to use Metacity?

I see instructions on the web to use a .xinitrc file, but I never
needed that in the Gnome1.4/Sawfish days.

I tried dpkg-reconfigure, but no luck:
# dpkg-reconfigure x-session-manager
Package `x-session-manager' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: x-session-manager is not installed

TIA,
Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |