Re: Cannot Connect to some website on linux

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:04:01AM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 00:43, Ron Johnson wrote:
> <---SNIP--->
> > # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> > 1
> >
> > When /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn had the value "1", I couldn't get
> > to thatpetplace either.  However, I could, after I did this, and
> > then restarted Mozilla:
> > # echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> > # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> > 0
> >
> > Make sure to reenable tcp_ecn when you're finished!
> >
> > # echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> > # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> > 1
>
> Ron, as of this writing, 12:55AM EDT, I will have to disagree with you
> about turning tcp_ecn back on. For about the next 2 years at least.

[ snip 'windows doesn't do ECN' ]

> Very little luck with website admins whom have "drunk the Microsoft
> Kool-Aid" (I know drank is right but drunk get's the point across
> better) stating they are using "Industry Standards" and so on...

Er, RFCs are the standards.

> Well, overall ECN is a great way to make the Internet "self-regulate"
> and of course the biggest obstacle is M$ products. But for quite a while
> yet, defaulting it to OFF is a good thing.

I disagree.  A better idea is to leave ECN on, and use iptables to
mangle packets to sites that reject packets with ECN set.  AFAIK
there's support to do just this with built-in targets since 2.4.20.

  Warning: dates in calendar are closer than they appear.