Re: RedHat more debian like?

On Saturday 26 July 2003 23:06, Colin Watson wrote:

(snippage for bandwidth)

> > I think they have the vision of a flatworm, but that's the way they
> > are.   So they may buy Red Hat, they would certainly buy IBM, but
> > they're extremely unlikely to touch Debian unless somebody *sells* it
> > to them for enough money.
> >
> > Now I expect someone will tell me their company does use Debian -
> > well, lucky you, you work for a company whose managers' IQ exceeds
> > their waist size (in inches).    ;)
>
> Both my company and my previous company use Debian. :) Of course, this
> is mostly because I work in software development and have always had
> other Debianites, if not even other long-time Debian developers, around.
>
> At least in the near term, I think the future for Debian in business is
> likely to be through companies like HP (which I pick semi-randomly
> because Bdale gave an excellent talk on HP and Debian at DebConf) who
> are willing to put effort into both developing Debian and selling it to
> their customers. Having big names in our favour is the easiest way to
> become accepted quickly in that world.

Just as well for me I put that 'unless' escape clause in my post, isn't it?
;)

But yes, what you said is, so far as I can see, the most likely way Debian
might get accepted in the corporate world - through some commercial
middleman, preferably one with an established 'name'.

cr