Re: RedHat more debian like?

On Saturday 26 July 2003 00:56, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:10:02AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > Mostly because their distro feels sloppy and more of a means to make a
> > > buck rather than the end in itself as Debian and other non-profit
> > > maintained distros feel.  And as we've seen, people who distribute
> > > Linux for profit aren't necissarily our friend.
> >
> > RH employs many kernel, GNOME and PostgreSQL hackers.
>
> Not to mention even a few Debian developers.

Besides, if GNU/Linux ever becomes a force to be reckoned with in the
business world, it will be because of companies like RH, Suse, maybe IBM,
IMO.   I know the way corporate beancounters think.   They don't believe
something free can be any good, and they *want* to pay for everything, they
want to buy it from a company so they can hold the supplier responsible for
making it work.   They think, if they've paid for support, they'll get it,
and if they haven't, they have no contractual basis for demanding support.

I think they have the vision of a flatworm, but that's the way they are.   So
they may buy Red Hat, they would certainly buy IBM, but they're extremely
unlikely to touch Debian unless somebody *sells* it to them for enough money.

Now I expect someone will tell me their company does use Debian - well, lucky
you, you work for a company whose managers' IQ exceeds their waist size (in
inches).    ;)

cr