Re: Newbie question on partitioning (primary/logical drive ?)

On Sunday 27 July 2003 17:05, Rthoreau wrote:
> ThinKer softly asked,
>
> > So I am sitting here looking at the screen (cfdisk 2.11n) and it is
> > asking me to select a drive to partition with the list of
> >
> > /dev/hda
> > /dev/hdc
> > and
> > /dev/hdd.
>
> Debian can be confusing if you really do not have much experience with
> partitioning.  I would suggest you read the partitioning HOWTO on
> over at the www.tldp.org, this is The Linux Documentation Project
> which is a good place to find stuff if your confused.
>
> Basically what this screen is telling you is what hard drive do you
> want to install Debian on.  You mentioned you had three harddrives,
> under Linux harddrives are under what is called devices. Or /dev when
> you see /dev/hda it is most likely your first hard drive on your
> Primary IDE channel.   Something like this:
>
> Primary IDE Master: 4.1 GB ------>/dev/hda
> Primary IDE Slave: 1.2 GB------->/dev/hdc
> Secondary IDE Slave: 4.1 GB------->/dev/hdd
>
> This could also be partitions on a specific harddrive, say you split
> your Primary Master into 3 or 4 partitions then it would be numbered
> in somewhat like manner /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3.

Just a minor correction -
the primary IDE slave would be the second drive, hence /dev/hdb (not hdc)

So the setup would be
Primary Master - /dev/hda
Primary Slave - /dev/hdb
Secondary Slave - /dev/hdd

If the primary master is subdivided, it would be
/dev/hda1
/dev/hda2
and so on.

However, if Thinker's cfdisk found this:
> > /dev/hda
> > /dev/hdc
> > and
> > /dev/hdd.
then it looks as if it found hard drives on the Primary Master,
Secondary Master and Secondary Slave.   (Not the Primary Slave).
Which is the setup I have, btw, as my CD drive's on the Primary Slave.

cr