RE: Hercules 9800 Pro and XFree under unstable.

> Nick wrote:
> Sorry for chiming in late...
>
> With standard 2.4.x kernel drivers, AGP 8x isn't supported for that
> chipset,
> so 4x is strictly necessary, but I couldn't change it from the BIOS.
> However,
> there's a way around this. On the Rage3D (www.rage3d.com) board,
someone
> posted a patch against the ATI FGLRX driver that teaches it how to
support
> the chipset even at 8x.
>
> I don't have the patch handy right now, so you'll have to search the
> boards.
> The patch also works for the latest driver release.
>
> agp_try_unsupported is a module parameter for the agpgart module. It
won't
> really help.

Ah, I thought as much. When I was recompiled agpgart as a module and was
a patch I found for 21-pre5 but when it came to running X everything
died on me, so I don't know if that's because of an issue with the AGP
patch being for a different kernel version. Ive also just tried
2.6.0-test2 but again I cant compile the modules for the DRI, and
without DRI X starts, but I get some VERY strange effects and lines and
things on the screen making it totally unusable.

Thanks for the forum tip, ill check it out and see what I can find.

Rus