Re: Hercules 9800 Pro and XFree under unstable.

Sorry for chiming in late...

On Sunday 27 July 2003 21:41, Rus Hughes wrote:
> Nick wrote:
> > I get the same error when it comes to the board being third party, but
> > everything still works fine. I also recently upgraded to the July 22
> > driver, and it works fine too. Seems they fixed Xx support.
> >
> > I don't know why you are getting that error. Did you compile agpgart
> > inot the kernel or as a module? I compiled it as a module and used
> > agp_try_unsuppoted=1 for my Intel 875PBZ motherboard. I coudn;t get it
> > to load with that parameter. What motherboard are you using BTW?? I
> > would try AGP 4x to be on the safe side.

With standard 2.4.x kernel drivers, AGP 8x isn't supported for that chipset,
so 4x is strictly necessary, but I couldn't change it from the BIOS. However,
there's a way around this. On the Rage3D (www.rage3d.com) board, someone
posted a patch against the ATI FGLRX driver that teaches it how to support
the chipset even at 8x.

I don't have the patch handy right now, so you'll have to search the boards.
The patch also works for the latest driver release.

> Ive been compiling it into the kernel but ill try it as a module, where
> did you put the agp_try_unsuppoted=1 line? Is that in the XF86Config-4?
> Im using a ASUS A7V8X mobo btw.

agp_try_unsupported is a module parameter for the agpgart module. It won't
really help.

--
Got Backup?