Re: Sandisk sddr-75 CF/SM usb reader problems

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 16:38, Michael Waters wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I can't get this usb reader to work at all with a smartmedia card (i
> don't have a compact flash card to test) although searching on the web
> suggests that the sddr-75 is a standard USB Mass Storage device and
> there are reports that it works in linux.
>
> I've followed the suggestions here:
> http://vic.dyndns.org/linux-UsbMassStorage/
> http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1227
>
> I'm using the debian supplied kernel-image 2.4.21-3-k7 with sid as well
> as a self-complied 2.4.21 and also tried versions of 2.4.20 & 2.4.19.
>
> To load the usb modules, in a boot-up script, I have:
>
> modprobe usbcore
> modprobe usb-uhci
> modprobe usb-storage
> mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
>
> Instead of doing this, I've also tried using hotplug and usbmgr as well
> as loading the modules in /etc/modules.
>

> `mount -t vfat /dev/sd[a,b] /mnt/flash/`  gives:
> mount: /dev/sd[a,b] is not a valid block device
>
> I think the problem may be that sg is not mapping the reader slots to
> /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. When I do `sg_map`, I get:  (scd0 is a cdrw)
>
> /dev/sg0  /dev/scd0
> /dev/sg1
> /dev/sg2
>
> Does anyone know how to get /dev/sg2 mapped to /dev/sdb?
>
> I bought the reader because I was having similar problems with my
> camera. It's an Olympus D-510.  I didn't use it for a while but I had
> it working fine in linux last year with an earlier 2.4 kernel.

	The output for sg_map indicates that the sg1 and sg2 device are not
being detected as disk drivers, tape drives, or cdroms. I'm not sure why
that is the case at this point.

	Two questions:
1. Are you certain that the USB ports on your computer work - since you
indicate problems accessing your camera directly as a usb device as
well.
2. It would be helpful to unplug the media reader, plug it back in, and
see what messages, if any, the usb-storage module generates in the
system message buffer (use dmesg to see this or cat /var/log/syslog).

nl