Re Request for Hardware Compatability Resources!

> ASUS A7S333-WA with a 1800+ V.S. ASUS A7V8X-X something faster.
> These motherboards alone are priced around $100.00 Canadian,
> my spending limit.
> How would you compare these two for use with Debian. I have searched
> the
> archives using google, with the keywords debian and "model-#".
> The  lucky
> board will be very Microsoft Windows(TM) free. It has been suggested
> that I look at the "chip sets" and see if they are supported in the
> Debian kernel. Where do I look to find that information?
> Would one grep in the kernel source? The Asus A7S333-WA has
> a SiS745 chiip set and the Asus A7V8x-x has a VIA KT400.

As far as being supported in Debian you will have to compile a new
kernel with the added support for those chipsets.  I think the real
question is does linux support these chipsets,  From doing a quick
search using google for SiS 745 + linux + kernel support, or the Via
KT400, chipsets I have found that they do support these chipsets.

Since I am not familiar with what all these boards support such as
raid and other on board support I would say that some support, and
maybe not all is supported under linux.  I am curious as to why you
have chosen these two chipsets, because you can get a VIA KT600 for
about the same price as a VIA KT 400, also SiS also has a 746, and a
748 board out as well all for under 100 dollars Canadaian.  Also
Nvidia has a nice single channel memory board that supports FSB 400
speeds that is under your price list.  Soltek sells it, seems to be a
sweet spot for price and performance if you like the new CPU's.

If you like Asus would you consider an Asrock based motherboard, which
is a subsidiary of Asus to compete against ECS.  Because Asrock has a
SIS 748 board out now that is priced very well.  If you don't mind a
different brand, ECS has some good boards.  I have a ECS K7S5A that
is running 24/7 is 1 1/2 years old, crunching RC5-72 with a lowly
Athlon XP 1700 CPU.   Not to put you off Asus or anything, but I find
that Asus puts a premium on their boards, you might be able to find
the  same chipset on an Aopen or MSI for less, sometimes for as much
as 20 US dollars less.

Anyway search the LKML for chipset support, and also google groups for
the same.  But VIA does seem to be on the ball for linux support of
their chipsets.

Rthoreau