Re: GNOME broken in Sarge?

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 02:33:15PM -0400, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I just upgraded from Woody to Sarge.
>
> I boot to a command line and use startx to run X.  I have been running
> Gnome, but, since the upgrade, startx is now loading KDE.  If I try to
> run gnome-session to run Gnome I get the following error:
>
> 	(gnome-session:535): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display
>
> I ran 'dpkg -l gnome*' to see what was installed and found a crazy mix
> of gnome 1.4 gnome 2.2 and gnome 2.3 files installed.  Also, several
> packages had been removed, and not upgraded.  As near as I can tell,
> this is a dependancey problem:  gnome-desktop-data and gnome-panel-data
> conflict with gnome-core (<1.5) and gnome-help (<1.5) but the only
> versions of gnome-core in testing are 1.4.x.  I do not see gnome-help in
> either testing, or unstable

gnome-help has become yelp, I believe.

> and the gnome-core in unstable seems to be a very different animal and
> I do not know if this is what I need, or not.
>  Is this a known problem and is there a workaround?

Yes, it is a known problem: GNOME in testing is incomplete. The best
workaround for now is probably to upgrade to GNOME from unstable.

> Is there any way to get back my gnome1.4 until this is corrected?

If you'd rather not upgrade GNOME to unstable, you could attempt to
downgrade to stable. This is unsupported but you may be able to make it
work.

Cheers,