Request for Hardware Compatability Resources.

I have been looking for resources to evaluate two motherboards,
for my main system, where stable is the main feature / requirement,
and quality audio output next, performance / cutting edge features
are a distant third.

ASUS A7S333-WA with a 1800+ V.S. ASUS A7V8X-X something faster.
These motherboards alone are priced around $100.00 Canadian,
my spending limit.

How would you compare these two for use with Debian. I have searched the
archives using google, with the keywords debian and "model-#". The lucky
board will be very Microsoft Windows(TM) free. It has been suggested
that I look at the "chip sets" and see if they are supported in the
Debian kernel. Where do I look to find that information?
Would one grep in the kernel source? The Asus A7S333-WA has
a SiS745 chiip set and the Asus A7V8x-x has a VIA KT400.

Please post the URL of your favorite hardware information source for
these two motherboards / chip sets so the next fellow who google's for
Debian and ASUS will find some good information to make a purchase.

With kind regards,
Dan Hunt
Pitch in and help with the Debian Weekly News,
send your news to dwn@debian.org Read it at
http://debian.org/News/weekly/current/issue/