During boot, fsck tries to run against offline drive?

I have a Gateway with an i810e motherboard, 866MHz/128MB/120MB ide, with an
additional USB2 drive that is generally turned off.

I just switched (last week) to 2.4.21 from 2.4.19 and to grub from lilo. I'm
not sure if any of that has to do with my problem, since it seemed to crop up
a while after I had upgraded. I'm new at grub, having only recently
undertaken the effort to understand it.

During the boot process, I get a message along the lines of (this is from
memory at 7 in the morning and I haven't had any coffee yet):

fsck.ext3 /dev/sda1
No such device or address while trying to open

Press Ctrl-D to continue or enter the root password for maintenance

This make sense, in a way, since the USB2 drive is turned off. OTOH, /dev/sda1
is marked noauto in my fstab and I don't understand why something seems to be
trying to run fsck on it.

Help?

-d