Re: Why pppoe bothers to bring the interface up?

>     "Shaul" == Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net> writes:
>
>      Shaul>   /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot.dsl has the following lines:
>      # Bring the interface up
>      /sbin/ifconfig $INTERFACE up
>
>      Shaul> Why bother? Isn't /etc/rc0.d/S35networking guaranteed to
>      Shaul> run before the pppoe has a chance to bring the interface
>      Shaul> up?  --
>
>  /etc/init.d/networking will only bring up those interfaces that are
>  marked with the 'auto' keyword in /etc/networks/interfaces.
>
>  Does that explain it (I don't use the ppp script so I don't know, I'm
>  guessing....)

  Yes, it does explain it. As a test I issued

    ifconfig eth0 up

where eth0 was already up. Looks harmless. Nothing seems to be changed
and no warning is printed out.

  As of now I don't use the ppp script either, but I will probably use
it in the near future.
--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t