frame buffer for ati rage mobility ker 2.6.0-test1

Anyone have any experience with using a frame buffer for ati rage
mobility video card, is it supported at all?
The only one that seems to be recognise is the mach64 frame buffer
(atyfb) but it doesn't function properly.
When I build it as a module and insert it on the console I lose all text
on the screen, although I can still see the cursor and the system is
completely although blindly functional.
the output of fbset shows that the screen is in 640x400 resolution.
When I try to change the resultion to 1024x768 (the native resolution of
the laptop lcd) the screen shows some grabage lines and slowly turn
completly white (an effect as if its burning up).
removing the module doesn't restore the screen.
If I start X at this point it functions properly, but if I compile the
it into the kernel (not as a module) I don't get the X screen either,
just a white blob for the mouse pointer.
The vesa vga fb doesn't work and the rage128 frame buffer doesn't work
either, fbset says that there is no framebuffer device with those.

I tried under kernels 2.4.21, 2.5.75, 2.6.0-test1, same result