Re: Lexmark USB Printer

Tinus Kotzé wrote:

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 03:15, ghwb wrote:

Tinus Kotzé wrote:

Good day
I am setting up my first USB device. It is the Lexmark z25 printer.
Under kprinter(add local printer) it is listed under the usb devices as
a lexmark z25_z35 printer. Everything seems fine, accept that if I print
a page, it never seems to appear in the job queue of cups. In console I
tried echo foo.txt > /dev/usb/lp0 and it just gives me the prompt again,
but with lp[1..x] it gives an error of no device so I am concluding that
the device is on lp0. I am running debian unstable kernel 2.4.20 and is
using cups as interface for my printing.

Can anybody help me please? I tried googling but couldn;t find an
answer, except that the printer may not be usable under linux which I
will not accept ;-)

I have also tried the drivers from lexmark's site, but it seems to be
rpm based and I am not clued up enough in linux to work around the
script and use alien to try install the rpm.

Regards
Tinus

You should be able to apt-get rpm to install rpm, then use the lexmark rpm driver (with --nodeps to force installation over objections), then check linuxprinting.org to see if there is a lexmark-foomatic-kit for your printer, and check the lexmark mail list on linuxprinting.org. After tons of effort, I finally have my z32 working. But, it's not perfect and I still have to do some printing from M$.

Thanx for the advice. The problem is that the driver from lexmark is a script file combined with the gzipped rpm and I don't think I can add the paramater. I will try later today when I have time to maybe fool the program with a link.

Regards
Tinus

If you apt-get install rpm on your debian, then the lexmark script should execute when rpm -ivh --nodeps lexmark*rpm is executed. But, it may not be needed, if you have a lexmark-foomatic-kit from linuxprinting.org.

good luck, and don't ever buy a lexmark again