Re: mouse wheel scrolling in mutt ???

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 02:16:04PM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
[...]
} However, when I am reading long emails, it would really be nice to use
} the mouse wheel to scroll down the page, just as I do with webpages.

I actually read the mutt user list and saw the messages fly by on the topic
today. I didn't actually read them (just deleted them by subject), but I
decided to see if I could do it, just for fun. It turns out that it is
pretty easy, except...

} I'm running mutt in rxvt, if that matters.

...yes, that matters tremendously. I got it working using xterm (which I
use anyway). You see, xterm is a proper Xt app and, therefore, handles Xt
translations in X resources automatically. Since I pop up a new window for
mutt (named mutt) anyway, I just put the following in my .Xdefaults:

mutt.vt100.translations:	#override \n\
        None<Btn4Down>:	string(<<) \n\
        None<Btn5Down>:	string(>>) \n

You will have to reload your resources using xrdb. You will also need the
following in your .muttrc:

bind pager < previous-line
bind pager > next-line

Note that you could use pretty much any pair of characters, but since the
angle brackets are already bound properly in index and help, I decided to
use them. Also note that I have it going two lines at a time, but you can
adjust that to your liking.

[...]
} What do you think?

I think you should switch to xterm, at least for mutt use.

} Best Regards,
} mds
--Greg