Re: rmnologin in rc$.d

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> >So I will leave nologin and makedev alone but I think I will remove
> >quotarpc and see what happends.
>
> Why not purge the package that provided it, instead of manually
> mucking around with debian-installed files ?

Oh, you are so right! Tried doing it manually and messed up somehow so now
I think I'll just have to install from scratch again! The more it hurts,
the more you learn! :-) (or so I hope!)

> >I installed the quota pakage, could that be where quotarpc comes from?
>
> dpkg -S /etc/init.d/quotarpc will tell you. If it is, then
> dpkg --purge quota will remove the package completely.

I will try that, when I have everything up and running again tonight.

> By the way, /etc/init.d/quotarpc is a shell script which is
> easily readable. If you do that you'll see that the rpc.rquotad
> daemon is only started if you have quotas enabled on the local
> filesystem and are exporting filesystems over NFS. Otherwise,
> the script does nothing.

I will try to read it and see if I understand anything! :-)

> And if you do have quotas enabled and you are exporting filesystems
> over NFS to another box, you do actually want to have that daemon
> running.

I am not using NFS because I don't need it and it is bad from a security
perspective as far as I understand.

> So basically there's no need to muck around with the initscript
> by hand. It will do the right thing automatically.

I must admitt that I'm quite new to linux and particulary Debian so I have
a lot to learn. Thanks to everybody for your help!

/Jimmy