Re: Auto load pop3 mail at night ?

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 22:11, David selby wrote:

> I need a program to auto load my many pop3 mail accounts (can't get on
> with IMAP) preferably in the middle of the night. And hopefully grab
> them from a spool directory via Mozilla 1.3

If I understand you right, you want to download the mail once per night,
and deliver it to your local mail spool, from where you want to read it
with Mozilla. To do this, you need fetchmail to download the mail and
deliver it. fetchmailconf can be used to configure fetchmail, but manual
configuration is easy too, for simple setups probably easier than the
config program. Fetchmail may be configurable to download at a specific
time (I don't know, I have it to dl every couple of minutes), otherwise
you can run it from cron. Then point Mozilla mailer to the spool

> Also I will need a mail transport agent MTA? I checked "sendmail"
> apparently this is the "alternative" MTA. Can anyone tell me what the
> default Debian MTA is and do I need one if I use Mozilla ?

Default is exim. It's a lot easier than sendmail, and runs a config
program upon install (or later, IIRC it's eximconfig or some such). You
are presented with canned configurations to choose from, such as "Local
ldelivery only" or "Use smtp server at ISP for delivery" etc. I think
you do want an MTA, even if for basic mail usage you don't need one, as
Mozilla can use your ISP's smtp server. But you probably want exim to be
configured to at least deliver local mail to you, such as may be
generated from logcheck or apt-listchanges