Re: RealPlayer on Debian

Hello

Ken Walker wrote:

> I have been searching unsuccessfully for information on using RealPlayer
> in
> Debian.  I use Opera or sometimes Konqueror as my web browser.
>
> The realplayer site has some downloads of generic Linux players but I
> was
> hoping to find a .deb package somewhere.  Is there such a thing?

Yes and no. There is a realplayer package available that will use the
version from real.com and install it. This way the program will be known
to the package management. However, if I remember correctly, you have to
download it first. This deb is also not available in the standard
distribution (at least not in stable). If you use stable, you can get it
from marillat.free.fr. Add the following line to your sources.list:

deb http://marillat.free.fr stable main

Please note that recent versions of mplayer can also be used to play this
type of content. If you install the mplayer-mozilla package additionally
(mplayer and mplayer-mozilla are available on the same server as
realplayer), you can use mplayer in your browser instead of Realplayer.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen