Re: configuring DHCLIENT-2.2.x

    "Lars" == Lars Unin <lars_unin@linuxmail.org> writes:

    >>  What kernel version are you using. Exactly. (uname -r).
    >>
    Lars> 2.2.20

Okay, this was confusing me because I could not tell if you were
running 2.2.x or 2.4.18-bf24. BTW, I have not used a 2.2.x kernel in a
while so I'll try to do this from memory (I use 2.4.18-k7 on this box,
but I know that until you get your network going installing a new
kernel is not an option :-).

    >> What is the output of dpkg -l 'dhcp*' | grep ^i showing.
    Lars> yep 2.0pl5-11

    >>  So 'ifconfig eth0' (or eth* whatever) shows a proper system?
    >>
    Lars> No, actually it doesn't and pegasus.o isn't loaded
    Lars> automatically so I have to do it myself
    Lars> # insmod pegasus

You can add 'pegasus' to the file /etc/modules so it will load
automatically on load up. I suggest you do that because the networking
scripts in /etc/init.d/ expect the ethernet device to be up when they
run. I am assuming that pegasus driver is for a USB based ethernet
device? That brings up another set of issues (regarding hotplug, but
lets get your network up first).

    Lars> In mandrake I tell dhcpcd to: root~# dhcpcd -h user.name
    Lars> (where i've changed user.name for security reasons) which
    Lars> configures It for me, no problems there since, if that
    Lars> helps.

In Debian you typically configure the network in the file
/etc/network/interfaces instead of manually invoking dhclient. I
suggest you read 'man interfaces' for details, but basically you need
add these two lines (assuming eth0 is your device, and you have the module
loaded on boot as described above).

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

The first line tells the boot scripts (well, actually the ifup
command) to bring eth0 up on bootup, the second says to use dhcp. You
can use the commands 'ifup eth0' and 'ifdown eth0' to bring the
interface up/down after you add these lines to the file. If that works
just reboot and it should come up.

If all this fails, just kill any running dhclient process (after doing
an ifdown eth0) and try running 'dhclient eth0' and see what it says.

    >> Finally, you say it does not work? How do you know this? Is it
    >> ifconfig output? Or is it that the network does not come up.

    Lars> Ifconfig, no network, no way of getting the latest unstable
    Lars> packages.gz

Try the suggestions above and let us know where you are. A part of
your problem is that dhclient has a different version for 2.2.x and
2.0.x kernels (look in /usr/share/doc/dhclient for details). But what
I describe above *should* work, and if it does not your problem might
be somewhere else. Now since you are using a USB ethernet device (wow,
I did not even know they exist) there might be something else getting
in the way. If things still don't work, tell us what happens as
precisely as you can.

    >>  Cheers!  Shyamal
    Lars> How do ya prounounce that out of interest?

Sha-mull (trying saying it like the English words gargle or garble :-)

Cheers!
Shyamal