Re: Setting up eth0 - estrange behaviour on Woody

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:15:53AM -0300, Valter G. Nogueira Jr. wrote:
> I am trying to set up eth0, thru etherconf package, but something odd is
> happening.
>
> These are the IP addresses
>
> IP: 200.xxx.yyy.242
> MASK: 255.255.255.248
> GATEWAY (ROUTER): 200.xxx.yyy.247
>
> ifconfig returns the broadcast addr as 200.xxx.yyy.255 when I think that the
> correct is 247

  Is 242 the internal network address or your Internet address?

> when I ping the router it seems that the reply is returning from .242 and
> not from .247

  Can you post your ping command and the replies?

> What is very different from eth1 (our internal network) 10.1.1.49/8. When
> any address, the reply returns from that
> address instead of 10.1.1.49.

  Is 10.1.1.49 the interface address or the network address? Looks to me
as if it is the interface address.

> This problem is preventing me to reach the internet.
>
> Is etherconf the better choice to config network interfaces?

  I don't know. Never used it.

>                                                              Or just editing
> /etc/network/interfaces is enough?

  That is what I did. Of course it could be that my configuration has
flaws which could be prevented should I choose to do it in some other
way.

  Please include the output of /sbin/ifconfig for further reference.
--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t