Setting up eth0 - estrange behaviour on Woody

I am trying to set up eth0, thru etherconf package, but something odd is
happening.

These are the IP addresses

IP: 200.xxx.yyy.242
MASK: 255.255.255.248
GATEWAY (ROUTER): 200.xxx.yyy.247

ifconfig returns the broadcast addr as 200.xxx.yyy.255 when I think that the
correct is 247

when I ping the router it seems that the reply is returning from .242 and
not from .247

What is very different from eth1 (our internal network) 10.1.1.49/8. When
any address, the reply returns from that
address instead of 10.1.1.49.

This problem is preventing me to reach the internet.

Is etherconf the better choice to config network interfaces? Or just editing
/etc/network/interfaces is enough?

Thanks,

Valter