startx VS xdm?

Hi,

I have a Woody install, using the 2.4.18bf24 kernel. I had been booting to a console from which to login (I commented the entry in /etc/X11default- display-manager to prevent the GUI auto-starting). I then used startx to start a GUI. This quite happily booted KDE.

I now wish to auto-boot the GUI, so /etc/X11default-display-manager now lists /usr/bin/X11/xdm. Unfortuantely, this starts twm or similar, not KDE.

What is the best way to make the runlevel-based X boot to go to KDE? Should I tweak xdm's config (if so which file where?) or should I install kdm instead via apt?

Thanks,

ian