Re: Moving a harddrive to newer machine

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I was just given a box with a PIII processor, and I intend to use it to
> replace my main server, which currently has a Pentium PRO 180 MHz.
<...>
> The hardware is obviously quite different on this new box, but I'm running
> a unmodified Debian kernel-image-2.4.18-686 2.4.18-5. When the disk will
> suddenly find itself in a quite different machine, is it something I
> should remember, or should the kernel boot effortlessly on the new
> hardware?

have an alternate means of booting the machine (rescue floppy or CD,
the local LUG swears by Knoppix for this sorta thing)

download (and install if possible) packages you will need on the new
box before moving the HDD.  e.g., xserver, kernel source, anything that
supports hardware which is new to the system on the HDD

reconfigure what you can beforehand  e.g., if you use SVGATextMode, make
sure you tell it to use generic VGA settings instead of the video card
in the old box.

- Bruce