Re: 120 GB hard drive on old P75

hi ya carl

On 15 Jul 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 12:50, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> > I am trying to install a 120 GB hard drive as a third hard drive on a
> > Pentium 75 with a cmd640 IDE interface.  I am attempting to replace a
> > 60GB hard drive that has been working without any problems.  When I
> > install the 120GB hard drive Linux only sees it as a 132 MB hard drive.
> > Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?  Below is the boot up
> > messages with the 60GB hard drive as the third drive (hdc) and the 120
> > GB hard drive as the fourth drive (hdd).

the cable nor controller should affect "capacity" it sees

root# fdisk -l /dev/hdc
-- should tell you how many cylnder/sector/heads it thinks there is

i suspect your p5 mb is too too old
	- check that the bio supports ata-66/ata-100/ata-133
	( probably doesnt )

	- check that the jumpers on the drive is setup for "big disk"
	( jumper setting varies w/ manufacturer (ibm, maxtor, wd, seagate)

	- check the kernel supports the ide chipset on the mb

c ya
alvin