Re: 120 GB hard drive on old P75

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:50:13AM -0700, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> I am trying to install a 120 GB hard drive as a third hard drive on a
> Pentium 75 with a cmd640 IDE interface.  I am attempting to replace a
> 60GB hard drive that has been working without any problems.  When I
> install the 120GB hard drive Linux only sees it as a 132 MB hard drive.
> Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?  Below is the boot up
> messages with the 60GB hard drive as the third drive (hdc) and the 120
> GB hard drive as the fourth drive (hdd).

I see it doesn't report a drive ID string... doesn't seem to be
communicating with the drive properly.

Might be worth checking that you have the jumper settings correct on
the drive... do your BIOS boot messages report the drive correctly? If
your BIOS has an "HDD Auto Detection" option, does that get it right?

Have you tried taking hdc out, and seeing if hdd is correctly detected
when it's on its own?

Also, your kernel doesn't seem to like your secondary IDE port much...
does it make a difference if you put the 120GB drive on the primary
interface? On the primary interface on its own?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons