Re: keystroke ctrl+s freezes terminal/console

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:42:30AM -0400, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> On Tue, July 15 at 12:38 PM EDT "Antony Gelberg" <antony@antgel.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >> I have noticed that pressing ctrl+s in console or xterm suspends
> >> input... I have not figured out how to successfully get out of that
> >> situation.  Is there a graceful way?  What is the purpose of ctrl+s
> >> ( i believe I have the emacs style command line editor )?  How can
> >> I disable ctrl+s or alter it so that it does not freeze my
> >> console/xterm?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >> Shawn Lamson shawn.lamson@verizon.net
> >
> >ctrl+q.

> Thanks it works - can you give me a little detail on what this is?  Is
> in fact a "suspend"... what is its purpose? Again, thank you,

It's part of the serial protocol. Before TCP/IP receiving devices had to
stop receiving every so often in order to catch up. It's really a legacy
from the time when output devices were serial devices. It was also a
frequent help desk call when users had 'dumb' serial terminals.

--
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it,
 doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (1928-82)