alternatives to flash / fireworks?

Hi group,

My brother started his own little business and was shocked when he
learned the license costs for proprietary software.

In the meantime, I installed Knoppix on my father's laptop and both my
father and my brother were rather impressed by it. So... my brother is
seriously thinking of switching to linux...

Not that familiar with the roots of linux, he told me that winzip had
this new experimental command line interface which made it possible for
him to write a batch file which automatically made a backup of some
crucial files, ;-) Here's one who will like tar, gzip or bzip2, bash,
perl, whatever...

Now, my real question (sorry for the introduction): he uses Macromedia
Flash Creator and Macromedia Fireworks for making little animations and
nice banners, logos and stuff. See e.g. http://www.ileos.nl/ (his site).

Are there any programs for linux that can do things like that?

TIA,

David