Re: installation and set up

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 06:18:18AM +0000, Jianan Huang wrote:
> Now, some more questions.
> 1) Using df, I find that my / has 60MB (25MB cited on previous msg was
> wrong), /usr has 300MB left. These are the only two partitions I created
> besides swap, which I assigned 35mB. I want to install a GUI, a browser and
> Openoffice. Would there be enough space? Any recommendation for GUI and
> browser?

It is doubtful that you will be able to install Openoffice and X Windows
into 300 megs. I think open office alone requires 150 megs. Also it
would barely be usable on a pentium 100 with 40 megs of ram.

Also if you have so little free space I recommend you make one large /
partition instead of dividing it in this way. Right now you might not be
able to install large pieces of software because they get downloaded
into /var which in your setup is part of /.

> 2) I have tried "apt-get install" for small files. Works fine. If I use it
> on a large file, and the link breaks down in the midst, will it continue
> downloading from the break or start all over again?

I have also used a Debian system with a dial-up connection. I recommend
you get a set of Debian CDs it will really save you lots of time,
especially if you ever have to reinstall your system.

Bijan