installation and set up

Hi folks,

I realised that I had sent an earlier mail to 'users' rather than 'debian-user. I'll repeat some stuff I wrote there.

First, allow me to clarify on my mail name. Jianan and Jianan Huang is the same person. I have decided to use hotmail for debian msg.

The disk burnt-out that I experienced during the first installation attempt was most likely due to the age of the hardware. I am using an old HP Vectra, a machine normally in cold storage until my main workhorse machine breaks down. I have been salvaging parts from other machines to keep it going. Besides the occasional breakdowns, it works fine.

I have managed to installed and set up a basic level of Debian/GNULinux running in text mode.

My Vectra runs on Pentium 100MHz, has 40MB of RAM, two 500 MB drives, a S3 ViRGE 3D/DX video card and a Creative Technology sound card . The C drive runs Win95 and the D drive now runs Linux. The machine is linked to the Net via a serial port, 3Com US Robotics 56K Faxmodem using ppp.

Thanks to those who responded to all my earlier msgs.

So, Release 3.0 doesn't mean the kernel version is 3.0.

I have tried ATZM0D0 to init the modem. It doesn't shut-up the modem.

Now, some more questions.
1) Using df, I find that my / has 60MB (25MB cited on previous msg was wrong), /usr has 300MB left. These are the only two partitions I created besides swap, which I assigned 35mB. I want to install a GUI, a browser and Openoffice. Would there be enough space? Any recommendation for GUI and browser?

2) I have tried "apt-get install" for small files. Works fine. If I use it on a large file, and the link breaks down in the midst, will it continue downloading from the break or start all over again?

3) The following error message has occurred several times while running Linux.

"Probable Hardware bug: Clock timer configuration lost. Probably a VIA 686a.
Probable Hardware bug: restoring chip configuration"
When I looked into syslog, its there alright.

There's another error logged as "Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled."

What's the problem? Hope to hear from you folks.

Have a nice day.

Download Norah Jones, Eminem and more! http://www.msn.com.sg/ringtones/