RE: New IDE drive dramatically slow system?

> having a slow system due to adding a disk is equally bad as a
> scrambled disk.....  ( fix the problems that causing the symptoms )
> 	-- dont mix drives unless they are both ata-100
> 	and both have 2MB disk buffers .. etc.etc..
>
> c ya
> alvin

I've never heard of matching buffers before.
I could see it might be useful in a raid system.

This reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with a colleague, back
when techs used to rub their hands at the thought of getting some Conner
104mb drives.
Then we were wondering wether the controller on the master drive did the
controlling for both the master and the slave.  I don't mean the ide
interface on the pc, but the circuitry on the drive.

Does anyone know if this is true ?