Re: OT: IDE/Bad Blocks: Call for mental assistance

Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:

> Some drives can, in fact do bad sector remapping on the fly.

By some drives, you mean "all drives sold in the last 10 years", right?

> However, manually finding bad blocks on a drive is no real cause for
> concern.  When a bad sector is found, it should be marked as such
> and the FS should not use it afterwards.

Right... that'll work for now.  But what will happen when the next
block goes bad?  You'll lose some data, rerun e2fsck -c, and wait for
it to happen again, which it will, because the drive will only get
worse.

It's possible that the drive's remap area might get filled up early,
but then go for a long time before causing significant annoyance, but
in my experience, once a drive starts to show bad sectors, it's time
to order a new drive.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
"The Lion King is...really an adult-cartoon movie..." -CHUM FM 30.