Re: The correct?(best?) way to install a sarge kernel into woody?

Hello

Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:12:54 -0400
> Charles-Roberts <ai4a@enia.net> wrote:
>> How can I set up apt's preference file so I do not have to do this 'try
>> then add' thing? How should I have accomplished the new kernel-image
>> install?
>
>     dselect?  *shudder*  Best way?  Download the kernel sources, install
> kernel-package, make your own kernel image and install that.

The newest Kernels in Sarge are 2.2.25 and 2.4.20. If you want to use them
for some reason but do not want to compile your own one, try to get the
kernel images from "woody proposed updates" on ftp.debian.org. They are
built for stable and don't have these dependency problems. You can use
the packages by adding the server to your sources.list (although this
will probably update some more programs available in that section) or get
the packages on your own. In my opinion still better than to use pinning,
besause if you set it up so that it automatically installs packages from
testing or unstable because of dependencies, you can end up replacing
some basic packages like libc, and downgrading *that* to stable again can
be complicated.

If you still want to try it with pinning, take a look at the
documentation. You have been warned :-)

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

best regards