The correct?(best?) way to install a sarge kernel into woody?

After installing woody and getting it to work fine, for some insane reason I wanted to install a kernel image from sarge! I put the following into /etc/apt/sources.
A  pointer to the testing deb files.

Then I put the following into apt's preference file:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority:  800

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-priority: 70

Package: kernel-image
Pin:  release a=testing
Pin-Pirority:  1100

I ran dselect update. Then I ran dselect select.
This allowed me to select the correct kernel, but with unresolved dependencies. so then I added:

Package:  modutils
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1100

Now I had an addtional unresolved dependency. So I added:

Package: initrd-tools
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Pirority: 1100

I got a different dependency problem. S I did a 'try then add' 'try then add' until I had the following in preference:

Package: libc6
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1100

Package: libc6-dev
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1100

Package: locales
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1100

Finally it all installed!

How can I set up apt's preference file so I do not have to do this 'try then add' thing? How should I have accomplished the new kernel-image install?

TKS
Charles