Re: ATAPI CD-writer

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 04:51:52PM +1200, cr wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2003 04:11, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:19:36AM +1200, cr wrote:
> > > It looks as if the kernels on the Woody CD-ROMS aren't actually in the
> > > form of packages, since 'apt-cache search vanilla'  (or compact, or
> > > idepci) brings up lists of other programs but nothing kernel-like.
> > > apt-cache search vmlinuz   does nothing, nor    apt-cache search
> > > linux.bin.
> >
> > Try apt-cache search kernel-image
> >
> > Most of the kernel-image packages are on CD 5 IIRC, so you need the
> > full set of CDs - I think if you've only got the first CD all you've
> > got is a source package and enough tools to build it.
>
> The first CD actually gives a choice when starting the install, of idepci,
> compact, vanilla or bf24, IIRC.   But they don't seem to be in deb package
> form.

What you get on the first CD are kernel boot images, so you can boot
from them; you can't boot directly from a deb package. These same
kernels are available packaged into deb packages, but on the 5th CD,
not the first.

> > > I just found the 2.2.20 kernel package at www.debian.org  and downloaded
> > > it (36 minutes on a 28k modem) and installed it with Kpackage (I'm
> > > lazy!), and it seems to be working.   Aside from briefly breaking GRUB
> > > and having to fix it yet again because I got the /boot directories mixed
> > > up :)
> > >
> > > Further investigations will have to wait till later - after midnight now
> > > and I do have a day job   <grin>
> >
> > Do you mean CD burning is working, or just that nothing has stopped
> > working?
>
> Just, nothing's stopped working.   :)
>
> I'll investigate getting X-cd-roast (and cdrecord) working now.   ('Now'
> being a couple of days later...)
>
> Well now, lsmod, modprobe and insmod tell me that  ide-scsi and  sg  are
> present, but  sr_mod isn't:
>
> lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> sg                     14928   0  (unused)
> ide-scsi                7060   0
> autofs                  9160   2  (autoclean)
> lockd                  42420   0  (autoclean) (unused)
> sunrpc                 57816   0  (autoclean) [lockd]
> nls_cp437               3896   2  (autoclean)
> af_packet               6152   0  (unused)
> unix                   11352  99  (autoclean)
>
> # insmod sr_mod
> insmod: sr_mod: no module by that name found
>
> And it isn't in any subdirectory of /lib/modules/2.2.20  either
>
> cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.

I take it you're either doing this as root or your cdrecord is setuid
root? If not, what are the permissions on /dev/sg* (and /dev/scd*) ?

> I've got /dev/cdrom symlinked to scd0
> alti:/dev# ls -l cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Jul 11 00:13 cdrom -> scd0

Fine.

> My /etc/fstab says
> /dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0

Fine.

> And my Grub  /boot/grub/menu.lst file says
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.20
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.2.20 root=/dev/hda5 hdb=ide-scsi ro
> savedefault
>
> I can still mount the cd-rom as a IDE device:
>
> alti:/# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
>
> but NOT as a SCSI one:
>
> alti:/# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
>        (maybe `insmod driver'?)
>
> I suppose this means I need sr_mod?   I'm a little surprised the 'vanilla'
> kernel doesn't have it already, since it has sg and ide-scsi.    But I can't
> find sr_mod anywhere.

This should be the other way round, ie. mounting as IDE should fail.
Try Andreas's suggestion of the ide-cd ignore=hdb option. Also,
although I don't use GRUB myself, the above 'kernel' line looks
suspicious to me - the 'ro' in such lines is there to indicate
'initially mount the root filesystem read-only', and as such I would
expect it to go immediately after 'root=/dev/hda5', not at the end of
the line. (I might not be 100% on track there though.)

> Searching  www.debian.org  for   sr_mod  lists it in kernels  2.4.16 and
> 2.4.18 (but no 2.2.nn kernels).    (I assume this means the 2.2.20 kernel (as
> shipped with Woody) definitely doesn't include sr_mod?)

It doesn't exclude the possibility of it being built into the kernel,
which I consider more likely, as otherwise it wouldn't be possible to
burn CDs with a standard woody kernel.

Having said that, I remember when I first got a CD burner, I built the
latest cdrecord from (non-Debianised) source and found some comment
in the docs about some issues with 2.2.x kernels - unfortunately I
can't remember what - so I built the latest 2.4.x kernel from
kernel.org, which was 2.4.8 at the time.

> I assume I *could* download and install a 2.4.16 or 2.4.18 kernel, but would
> this cause conflicts with all the stuff I already have installed?    I'd
> rather just download the sr_mod module from somewhere (if I could find it!)
> and install it with insmod than download a 8MB kernel image file.....

Check your bootloader configuration first, as Andreas has said.

Installing a new 2.4.x kernel won't break anything, and is likely to
be less trouble overall than trying to find an sr_mod that exactly
matches your existing kernel. I know it's a bitch having to download
big files - I'm on dialup myself - but sometimes it's the stablest
option, unfortunately!

Do I take it that you don't have the full 7-CD installation set? Or
are you simply keen to make sure your 2.4.x kernel includes the latest
security updates? If the latter, you could always try installing a
kernel-image off the 5th CD to see if it works, so you can decide if
it's worth going on to download the security-patched version.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons