Re: Kernel version, apt-get, modem

Hello

Jianan Huang wrote:

> 1) I downloaded the kernel from the site recommended by a documentation
> that is supposed to be for Rel 3.0. but the kernel version is 2.2..Why?

Debian Woody (3.0) cones with both 2.2 and 2.4 Kernels. You can also use
apt-get to install prepackaged kernel images. Try "apt-cache search
kernel-image" for more info.

> 2) How to control the speaker volume of my 3Com US Robotics modem? It is
> embarassing loud during the connection phase.

What program do you use for dialup? If you use po/poff, start pppconfig,
select "Change connection", go to "Advanced Options" and set the modem
init string from "ATZ" to "ATZM0L0" to turn off the speaker. I think you
can set L from 0-3 to set the volume.

> 3) Using apt-get to install software, which directory will the file(s)
> be stored? My / has about 25MB, /usr has >300MB. Naturally I would
> prefer to use /usr. Which is the default for apt-get?Can I specify?

If you install programs via apt, configuration files are stored in /etc,
data that often changes in stored in /var and the program itself is
installed somewhere in /usr (to be exactly, the information on where to
store the files is in the packages itself, but this standard behaviour).
You can extract package contents to other directories using dpkg, but
then your programs probably will not run correctly, and your package
management system will not know about it.

> When I look at the package list, the x-window-system metapackage is only
> about 57KB. Because other files will be downloaded, how to know the
> total size?

If you type "apt-get install x-window-system", apt will tell you which
additional packages it has to download and how big they are alltogether.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen