Kernel version, apt-get, modem

Hi folks,

I am exploring the Linux that I had recently installed.

1) I downloaded the kernel from the site recommended by a documentation that is supposed to be for Rel 3.0. but the kernel version is 2.2..Why?

2) How to control the speaker volume of my 3Com US Robotics modem? It is embarassing loud during the connection phase.

3) Using apt-get to install software, which directory will the file(s) be stored? My / has about 25MB, /usr has >300MB. Naturally I would prefer to use /usr. Which is the default for apt-get?Can I specify?

When I look at the package list, the x-window-system metapackage is only about 57KB. Because other files will be downloaded, how to know the total size?

Hope to hear from you folks.

Send a fun phone greeting to your friend! http://www.msn.com.sg/mobile/fungreetings/