Boot up kernel selection screen blank

Hi,

I am a newbie so please bear with the me if the
question is basic. ( point me to the right FM in that
case)
I had kernel 2.4.16 installed and had finally gotten
everything including sound and the display configured.

I then decided to compile a kernel and see how easy it
was(compiling wasnt tough, getting it to work is a
different story altogether.).
The compilation and installation of the kernel went
without a problem, and i made the right entry into
/etc/lilo.conf ( i think ) as i followed the document
verbatim.
I would also like to add that the machine i am using
is a dual boot win 2k/linux and that setup has been
working for a long time. I use the windows bootloader
at startup which then points to lilo.
The problem is that after running lilo and copying the
bootsect.lnx over to the windows mount, now when i
reboot and select linux, I get a blank screen.
Using a rescue disk i can get to the shell. I tried to
remove the new entry from /etc/lilo.conf, but that
didnt help either.
Could anyone tell me what would be a good place to
start looking to figure out what the problem could be.
TIA
Scott