Re: Equivs

Hello

Piero wrote:

> I have just (re)installed the whole of Debian Woody and I'm confronted
> with a problem I encoutered when I first installed it. My video card is
> a Radeon 9000, not recognised by the X server (and may-be by the X
> libraries) belonging to the Debian distributions. The other time I
> downloaded the X tarball from the XFree86 site, and installed it using
> their Xinstall program. All worked well, but I suppose I would have had
> problems with apt or dpkg if I tried to use them. Therfore this time I'd
> rather try to do thinks more properly.

Maybe the easiest way is to install an already packaged backport of XFree
4.2 or 4.3 for Woody. This way your package management will know of the
version installed and all you have to to is to add a line to your
sources.list and upgrade your system. You can find more info on
ww.apt-get.org.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--