Linux Kernel 2.4.21 and bootldr.ver

Am I the only one having trouble building ALSA modules for the 2.4.21
kernel? While it built and works fine with 2.4.20, with 2.4.21, I get:

make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/bootldr.ver', needed by
`hwdep.o'.  Stop.

I get the absence of that file noted with i2c as well, which I need for
lm-sensors to work - lm-sensors does build, but with an error about not
being signed (I build the kernel as root, as for some reason, fakeroot
*never* has worked right for me. My signature isn't on that account.)

So far, I haven't found what is supposed to create it, although it is
not listed in include/linux/modversions.h, while it had been in previous
kernels (IIRC, modversions.h is created by 'make dep'.)

Any suggestions?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org