Re: Libc 6.2, Debian and compiling modules for ATI Radeon 9700

Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:
Nick Lidakis wrote:

I just purchased a Radeon 9700 Pro (new MB also, Intel 875PBZ)so I could play America's Army in Linux. I used to play with a Radeon 8500LE, debian testing, a custom kernel and ATI's drivers for 3d acceleration. At this time last year ,IIRC, Debian testing had Libc 6.2, which according to the ATI website, is the only Libc these drivers will copile under. From the website:

Now, I was able to compile these modules last year and get 3d going just using ATI's howto, I have no idea how or what a Libc is. All I know is that using the 'Chech.sh', it's telling me that I have a newer Libc.

I am now using unstable. Can these drivers be used with Debian unstable and Xfree 4.2? What would be the correct way to accomplish this?

Any comments on Libc would be appreciated.

I was able to accomplish this by following ATI's well-enough written HOWTO (it is the "Release Notes" link). Their driver is compatible with the newer version of libc in unstable. I am currently running this setup right now. Just use their Xfree4.2.x and libc driver version and you will be fine.

Of course you have already done this last time with your 8500, but for other's convenience, be aware that you need to compile your own kernel (I did mine from debian sources and using make-kpkg). Just follow ATI's readme (Release Notes) and substitute the make-kpkg step at the end. You might have to re-run their make-install.sh script from /lib/modules/fglrx later.

But to summarize it all, it IS definetly possible to get the proprietary driver working on debian.

Actaully, I have encountered this question many times (most recently on slashdot). I am thinking about doing a HOWTO on this.. maybe help others who are in the situation I was in about 1 month ago.

Hope it helps,
Sorry, I didn't click reply-all, so it did not go to the list also (mozilla-mail).

--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop