Re: Libc 6.2, Debian and compiling modules for ATI Radeon 9700

Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:

I was able to accomplish this by following ATI's well-enough written HOWTO (it is the "Release Notes" link). Their driver is compatible with the newer version of libc in unstable. I am currently running this setup right now. Just use their Xfree4.2.x and libc driver version and you will be fine.

Of course you have already done this last time with your 8500, but for other's convenience, be aware that you need to compile your own kernel (I did mine from debian sources and using make-kpkg). Just follow ATI's readme (Release Notes) and substitute the make-kpkg step at the end. You might have to re-run their make-install.sh script from /lib/modules/fglrx later.

But to summarize it all, it IS definetly possible to get the proprietary driver working on debian.

Actaully, I have encountered this question many times (most recently on slashdot). I am thinking about doing a HOWTO on this.. maybe help others who are in the situation I was in about 1 month ago.

Hope it helps,

I followed you advice, and aside from changing one line in the make sh to point to kernel-source-2.4.21, I got it up an running in 10 mins.

The endgame screensaver, with animation speed turned up to max, gives me 180 FPS. It used to make my original Radeon 64mb VIVO crawl at 1FPS with 3d enabled. 812 FPS with ATI's PBuffer GLXGears with this setup. :)

If these drivers work, why the ATI warnings and "please use this Check.sh"? Seems like it would turn linux customers away.